Every year, our local SCA Shire has a dirty Santa Christmas exchange. The materials cost limit is $25, but what you do with those materials is up to you. This year, to save money, I was digging in the already ridiculous craft supply horde we have, and found some leather I had bought for shoes (and bought A LOT of). Since we have lots of new members at the moment, I figured doing a nice pouch was not beyond the pale.
I decided to go with a basic kidney shaped belt pouch, similar to those found in a lot of 14-15th century art.
To start the project, I created a pattern using a manilla file folder.
Once I had a nice, even pattern for the two body pieces, I used a flexible curve ruler to get a measurement and cut a 1.5″ wide gusset to run between them.
Once I had the main body components, I used an old fork that had been re-worked into a leather fork to create evenly spaced holes. I would then go back and widen those with a nice sharp awl.
Once the holes were all punched in the body pieces and the gusset, I started sewing with a double running stitch, using waxed linen thread.
It took me about 3 hours to put the main body pieces together. I then cut out and added a hanger piece along the back for belt attachment.
Next step was creating a pouch lid. I went with a hard finished leather for this, which, after I cut out, I used a edge knife to round the edges, then used a straight knife and a leather stamp to carve designs into. I then stained the heck out of it using black leather dye, and finished it with a sealant.
Once I had attached the lid, I added two straps for closures.
All told, the finished project took me about 8 hours.
If I decide to do it again, I think I will alter the pattern to incorporate the belt attachments into the body of the pouch, and will go with one weight up in leather. This is pretty, but a little stretchier than I had anticipated.